Putting It All On Paper

I find it hard to arrange furniture and figure out how much table space/storage space is needed for all the items we use. We work in a kitchen that already existed for the moment, so we’ve made the existing storage fit what we have. When you’re coming at it from the other direction, I find it’s very different. I admire people who design kitchens for a living. Sappho, I’m looking at you!

We’ve got a preliminary floor plan that was structured around where the plumbing currently exists in the space. I learned after the fact that the hot water tank in the space is the hot water tank for the whole building, and my plan includes a much smaller tank (I thought it was the tank to the immediate space only – a question I didn’t ask before. No matter how much experience you have there will always be details that get missed).

Based on the floor plan I was able to make an itemized list of tables, cabinetry, and where plugs need to be located, as there are pieces of equipment with a large enough draw that they need to be on separate panels.

Saturday morning I sat down with a Uline catalogue, looked at all the warehouse shelving options and determined what would fit along the opposite wall. I then took an inventory of all of our boxes of jars, how many we normally keep on hand, how large they are. I did the same with all of our boxes of cardboard packaging, and finally with all of our finished materials. Then began the arduous process of laying it all out – the shelves have a fixed shelf in the middle, and then you can purchase extras as needed. In order to determine just how many extra shelves would be required, every single box needed to be accounted for, arranging similarly sized product together – but also making sure it made sense so that our most frequently used items are at eye level and infrequently accessed items are up high or down low. It took some time – half a day, to be exact. What I thought would be an hour of sketching turned into starting over three times when I realized I had the middle shelf at the wrong height the first time. The second time I had our most frequently used items at the very bottom. I really struggled with this exercise but now it’s done!

Sunday I was determined to finish the business plan. Actually purchasing equipment is hinging on this business plan as I hope there will be some programs within Opportunities New Brunswick to help us through this next phase. Opportunities New Brunswick has been incredibly supportive of Anointment over the years, largely through connecting me with workshops and programs to enroll in and improve my skills, or matching me up with expertise in other departments like National Research Council or BDC. Fingers crossed.

Monday’s tasks have involved connecting with NB Power to determine if we can change the hot water heater (maybe), apply for an energy rebate to change the lights from fluorescent units in poor condition to LEDs (yes) and get comparative equipment quotes from a second restaurant supply company.